Monday, April 18, 2011

Hey, is it weird that I haven't blogged about my new haircut yet? Or is it weird that I blog about my hair at all? Either way, I figured I at least owe you blog faces a little chat about it since I put you through all of my beforehand musings- "should I? shouldn't I?" and "Oops, my ears are dumb, guess I can't!"

Well, I thought long and hard about it, looked at billions of pictures, and asked pretty much everyone I know their opinion on "to cut or not to cut". (I don't know why. I don't really care what other people think about that kind of stuff, but me verbalizing stuff everywhere is part of how I work stuff out for myself. Sorry for those of you that have to suffer through it with me, but...well, there is no but, I'm just sorry!)

Anyways, after quite some time of me obsessing over this, I realized I would never stop until I just did it. I said to myself, "Lenny, you know how you are. It's something you have to do. You will probably hate it, but you have to try." (I don't think I actually called myself Lenny, but it sounds cool here) So I settled on a haircut, held some final meetings at work about if I should go through with it or not (again, knowing I wouldn't actually take people's advice if they said not to), and headed to my hair dresser!

Now, I knew I would have to do some convincing here. And immediately my lady was like...."Um, no. That is too short. I don't think we should do it." And the more she resisted, the more I knew I had to do it and would be disappointed if I walked out of there without a short cut. I told her that I knew I would probably hate it, but I really wanted to do it, and would not hold her accountable in any way.  After about 15 minutes of me basically begging, she reluctantly gave in.

Now, I'm not going to lie. I had a moment of fear when she whacked off a huge chunk, and I asked "have you done many short cuts?"
She replied " No, not really, so I'm excited because this will be outside of my box." Uh oh.

Once we got going, she got really into it, and I could tell she was enthusiastic about it. I didn't even feel an ounce of regret as I watched the stylist next to me fix this woman's long, shiny hair into a beautiful up-do.

And when she was finished- I loved it! And I have loved it ever since. Short hair is the easiest thing EVER! And it feels so fresh, and new and different! Seriously people, I feel like I could move mountains! I have to say, when poor Britney Spears shaved her head and everyone thought she went insane, I have since realized that is the moment she was at her sanest.

And now I am obsessed, and want to make it even easier and shorter. I think a lot of the satisfaction comes from the fact that I did something I've thought my whole life I could never do. I thought I would look like a dumb hole. And you know what, maybe I do, but it is so EASY, fresh and different, I don't even care! It was also satisfying to know myself and know it was something I needed to do.

Okay, I know it's just hair. Obviously the cut didn't solve all of my problems. I'm gonna stop now. Blogging about it that is, not cutting it.





2 comments:

  1. I hear ya honey!!! I keep going shorter and shorter.....It's just so damn liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liberating is EXACTLY what it is!! I LOVE IT! you are the smartest lady I know!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete